Sunday, October 20, 2013

What Is An American?

What is an American? The literal meaning, of course, is someone who's an American citizen/someone living in America. However, to most people, there are specifics. Imagine someone coming up to you and saying, "Hey. I'm from France; I'm French. What are you?" What if you were asked that question? Some people would say, "Oh, I'm from America; I'm American!". Nevertheless, other people would say, "I'm ______-American". The blank would be filled with where they're from: African, Italian, Cuban, etc. However, I believe that a true American is someone who is devoted to America, and proud to say that America is their home. A true American is someone who isn't ashamed to say that America is their home, despite the crime rate or the or the racism. A true American is someone who's used to eating fast food and doesn't really care what other countries say about their health. A true American is someone who believes and somewhat lives by the Constitution. A true American is someone who's familiar with many and various celebrities, such as maybe Michael Jackson, Beyonce, or Whitney Houston. A true American are people who enjoy sports, like basketball, baseball, football, or softball. A true American is hardworking and educated. A true American isn't ashamed of their country.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you, but if they are ashamed of the American ways, why claim America at all? I think most of the people are very confused, and only claim something different, because that's what they were told by another confused person!

    ReplyDelete